The Perfect Summer Salad Recipe: Featuring Corn
Looking for a delicious and nutritious recipe that incorporates one of your favorite summer vegetables…corn? You’re in luck! Our Department of Nourishment Arts (link to LP) constructed a perfect summer recipe that’s easy to make and something the whole family will enjoy!
Before we get to cooking, let’s get to know your corn. Surprising to some people who generally think of corn as a plain, staple food, corn is truly a unique phytonutrient-rich food that provides us with well-documented and antioxidant benefits. It’s also a great source of fiber! One cup amounts to over 20% of the daily recommended amount. Oh, and did we mention how insanely good it is? Go ahead, try it out in one of our favorite recipes.
Zucchini, Corn, and Tomato Salad with Basil VinaigretteIngredients:
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups corn, shucked from the cob
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
Prepare all veggies and place in a bowl. Make the vinaigrette by placing all dressing ingredients in a blender and pureeing them until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. From seed to belly… bon appétit!
Not a fan of salad? Here are a few other ways to enjoy corn:
- Grilled – wrap cobs in foil, cook for 15-20 minutes
- Sautéed with onion and top with fresh herbs
- Add a little crunch to your guacamole
- Add to soups to enhance hardiness and nutritional profile
- Add washed husks to your stock pot for a woody flavor