To view The Alemany’s story, please click on the image above or click here.
Things to Do and Sights to See when Visiting your Loved One
Welcome to our family portal! Below, you’ll find access to Center-related events – such as our annual Summer Concert Series and family swim hours – along with solstice celebrations and other community events that you can enjoy as a group.
For other things to do in the area, like the best places to hike, where to dine out, or for local concerts and more, visit our helpful guide to the Sullivan County Catskills, found below the summer concert series calendar.
How Families can Maintain Connections with their Loved Ones During COVID-19
To view a resource developed by The Center for Discovery on how families can maintain connections with their loved ones, and how The Center can help, please click here.
A Notice to Families and Guardians Regarding COVID-19
Dear Family Member,
The Center is activating greater protections for your family member, and will continue to communicate any and all updates or changes. New preventative protections now in effect include further reducing potential exposures by: (1) discontinuing all outside visitation to our residential homes, school program, and clinics including all family visitors; and, (2) discontinuing travel outside of The Center including trips with Center staff and family trips. These decisions are part of our pandemic plan and were thoughtfully made in concert with Drs. Todd, Glaser, and Wilken. Dr. Todd, MD is the Medical Advisor to our Board of Directors and a parent; Dr. Glaser, MD is an infectious disease physician at Northwell Health and a parent; and Dr. Wilken, MD is our Medical Director.
We understand that these decisions will be very emotional for families, but we are asking that for your child’s safety and your own health and well-being, you comply with our requests. We all want to protect our children. Each residence will have access to SKYPE and Facetime, so that families can see and speak with their loved ones. Program Educators will help facilitate contacts, and we will work with your child to help them understand the new protocols. The Center cares for the most vulnerable individuals with developmental disabilities in NYS, and together, we are partners in assuring that each person is protected and cared for.
We will continue to carefully monitor the COVID-19 situation with NYSDOH, CDC, and the WHO, and will remove or apply further restrictions as the situation evolves. You will be informed if The Center experiences any positive cases of COVID-19, or if your child has been exposed to anyone with COVID-19. If you have any questions, please call our family infoline at (845) 707-8461, we will be available seven days a week, between the hours of 8:00am to 8:00pm EST.
We thank you for your understanding and support.
Patrick H. Dollard
President and CEO, The Center for Discovery
Dr. Theresa Hamlin, Associate Executive Director
Board of Directors, The Center for Discovery
Dr. George Todd, MD, Medical Advisor to the Board of Directors
Dr. Phil Wilken, MD, Medical Director
Dr. Jordan Glaser, MD, Infectious Disease Physician, Northwell Health.
2020 Summer Concert Series
Each year, The Center for Discovery organizes and hosts the Summer Concert Series – beginning in early June through late August. Check out the incredible lineup here for the 2020 season – coming soon!
2020 Thanksgiving Farm® Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Share for TCFD Family Members
Are you a family member of The Center for Discovery looking to join our Community Sponsored Agriculture (CSA)? Every year, our very own Thanksgiving Farm® supports 300 CSA share members, including Center staff and families, and members of the surrounding community. Thanksgiving Farm® spans 300+ certified organic and biodynamic acres throughout our Stonewall Preserve, Tutto Bene Farm, Hadley, Vista, Sweet Hill and our Main Campus, or home farm – all local farms within Sullivan County, New York. On an annual basis, Thanksgiving Farm® grows over 60 different kinds of vegetables, flowers, and herbs, and is also home to three orchards.
The 2020 Thanksgiving Farm® CSA distribution will begin the week of Tuesday, June 2nd, and will continue for 23 weeks through November 3rd. The Saturday distribution will begin on Saturday, June 6th, and will conclude on Saturday, November 7th. Members are invited to pick up their share one day per week at either of the following locations and times:
- Tuesdays: 3:15pm and 6:00pm, Location TBD
- Saturdays: 10:00am to 12:00pm, Location TBD
At every pick-up, produce is arranged in bins. Please bring your bags to collect your share, as no bags will be supplied at the pick-up. Each week, please also sign in and check the list of items and quantities available that day, and then put together your share as you visit with friends, other community members, and farm staff who are always there to assist you and answer your questions. There is a revised Harvest Schedule on the back of the Prospectus for crop species.
To sign-up, please print out the CSA application form, included below, and mail the filled out form with your payment (check enclosed) to:
Open and Family Swim at The Center for Discovery
Located at 8 Discovery Boulevard in Monticello, NY, The Center for Discovery offers open and family swim hours. Open swim is for residents of The Center, along with community students. Family swim is for residents, community students, and The Center’s employees and their families.
Open Swim Hours:
- Please check back for more information
Family Swim Hours:
- Please check back for more information
Dive Right Into Fun at The Kartrite Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ready for your next vacation? We’ve partnered with The Kartrite to offer all TCFD parents and families a 10% discount on Splash (Day) Passes, and up to 20% off for midweek and weekend stays, giving you and your family access to New York’s largest indoor waterpark – including over 80,000 square feet of rides, slides, and tons of fun!
To purchase your discounted splash pass, please complete the following steps:
- Visit The Kartrite’s Splash Pass purchase page: https://www.thekartrite.com/indoor-water-park-ny/splash-pass/
- On the Confirm & Checkout screen, enter the code TCFD, which will provide a 10% discount on the purchase (note: discount is not stackable with other discount offerings)
To book your midweek or weekend stay, please complete the following steps:
- Visit The Kartrite’s website, www.thekartrite.com, and click the ‘Book Now’ button at the top of the screen. In the drop down of ‘Add Code’ select ‘Rate Access/Corporate Code’ and enter TCFD.
- Or, you can go directly to your booking code by clicking on this custom TCFD link: https://reservations.travelclick.com/107897?&identifier=TCFD
- That’s all – have fun!
Accommodations & Lodging Near The Center for Discovery
In addition to The Kartrite as a wonderful option for lodging near The Center, here are other local options:
Other Things to Do in Sullivan County, New York
Arts & Culture:
- Visit the Hurleyville Arts Centre for first-run movies, a variety of fitness classes (think yoga – even for family & kids) and dance classes, a gallery, and an event space.
- Head on over to Fiber On Main in Hurleyville for various fiber art workshops and classes. Check out their schedule, here.
- Bethel Woods Center for the Arts is located at the site of the 1969 Woodstock Festival in Bethel, and boats an 800-acre campus including a Pavilion State amphitheater and the award winning Museum. This summer, visit Bethel Woods and witness musical greats like Ringo Starr and His All Star Band, Santana, Dave Matthews Band, and more! Check out the lineup, here.
- Harvest, galore! For five consecutive Sundays in a row – beginning 9/1 through 9/29 – Bethel Woods welcomes guests from near and far to celebrate fall, with their annual Harvest Festival. This free, family-friendly market features over 100 vendors including a farmer’s market, along with craft and artisan goods, and specialty foods. You can also enjoy live music, a creative learning tent, corn and hay mazes, and horse and buggy rides. Check out this year’s schedule, along with other festivals, here.
The Great Outdoors:
- One of the most remarkable aspects of upstate, NY is the abundance of fresh air and natural landscapes. We’ve rounded out some of our favorite spots to enjoy the outdoors – spring, summer, and fall!
- Lace up your sneakers and head over to the Hurleyville Rail Trail – located right off on Main Street in Hurleyville – for walking, jogging, and even biking (BYOB). You can also bring your furry friends, but please remember to clean up! And, while the Rail Trail is not maintained during the winter months, a good snowfall makes for the perfect cross-country or snowshoe setting.
- Take a hike at Walnut Mountain Park (Liberty, NY), at Mongaup Pond Campground (Livingston Manor, NY), or Mullet Loop Blue Trail East, and more!
- At The Center for Discovery, we love food – and even better, quality food. Here’s a roundup of some of our favorite, local restaurants:
And, our Department of Nourishment Arts team has put together a helpful diagram of some healthy options when dining out.
For more to do in the area – where to stay, eat, and explore – visit our favorite guide to the Sullivan Catskills, thanks to our friends over at the Sullivan County Visitor’s Association: https://sullivancatskills.com/.