March 11th, 2020
Continuing information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) has heightened public awareness and concern. We want to assure you that as a healthcare facility supporting individuals with highly complex conditions, we follow stringent infectious disease policies and procedures. The Center for Discovery® is participating in weekly calls with the NYS Department of Health, and updating all information and protocols as new guidance is released. The Center also has an extensive Pandemic Plan, which has been implemented. Essential staff are currently being trained to respond to this particular pandemic.
We want to remind you that if you come in contact with another person who is positive for COVID-19, or has flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, and /or shortness of breath), and has traveled in the last 30-days, we ask that you immediately alert our medical personnel so that we can take the necessary precautions. If you have any flu like symptoms, we ask that you not visit The Center. Please remember is it still an active flu season.
COVID-19 spreads very easily via respiratory droplets. We ask you to follow these preventive measures in order to minimize the risk of illness to our community of students, residents, and other staff as recommended by the CDC and NYS DOH:
- Use hand sanitizers frequently
- Cough and sneeze into your arm, rather than your hands
- Dispose of tissues immediately after use
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after personal contact with anyone who has signs or symptoms of illness
- Clean hard surfaces with disinfectants or 1:10 bleach solution
- Families and other visitors must discontinue visitation to our residential homes, school program, and clinics
- The Center is discontinuing travel outside of the organization, including trips with Center staff, along with family trips
The Center is committed to the health and safety of all those in our care and those who work for us. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely, so that we are fully prepared to take necessary action, and to keep you informed.